Friday, June 24, 2005

Lesson 12

I wanted to make up for a class I would be missing this week so I went to Syedji's place last Saturday. So many kids playing, you feel like a dinosaur. The nice thing was that after my class, there was a sitar student who played Bhimpalasi while one of the students was accompanying him (I think it was the Teental). It was quite nice to hear it. I just feel stupid I left early - didn't have a watch on me and thought I was really late.

We played a Kaida today. A Kaida is a composition with emphasis on one of the bols. There are three major Kaidas - Naa, TeTe and TiReKiTa. The Kaida we played was a 16 beat Kaida in Dha.

Also, I learnt the short form of the notations today.

D => Dha, G => Ge, N => Naa, Tn => Tin, T => Taa

D - G N Tn N G N G N D G Tn N G N (A)
D G N Tn N D - D G N D G Tn N G N (B)
T - K N Tn N K N K N T K Tn N K N (C)
T K N Tn N T - D G N D G Dn N G N (D)

The 4 compositions above are A & B in the first row, followed by C & D. As you can see, B & D are the second part in the composition. So, you can have more compositions like



A * 2 + B * 2
C * 2 + D * 2

D - G N Tn N G N G N Tn N Tn N G N + B
T - K N Tn N K N K N Tn N Tn N K N + D

D - G N Tn N G N Tn N G N Tn N G N + B
T - K N Tn N K N Tn N K N Tn N K N + D

D - G N Tn N G N Tn N G N Tn N D - + B
T - K N Tn N K N Tn N K N Tn N T - + D

D - G N Tn N D - G N Tn - N - D - + B
T - K N Tn N T - K N Tn - N - T - + D


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home