Thursday, June 16, 2005

Lesson 11

I started at Syedji's private classes today. And it was a completely different experience. I guess the major reason was that most of the other students had been learning for quite a while - some more than 2 years. There were a couple of beginners - with around 3-4 months of lessons so I was not completely off the boat.

It was exciting because everyone was playing together, discussing things with each other - which I really missed at ICC. And it was more of a learning experience because Guruji didn't really tell me each and every bol like he used to. He just played the composition and we had to figure out the bols and how to play it. Also, we paid more attention to rhythm. Just the bols aren't enough. I guess I have a slow start because everyone already knew how to play a beat and say the composition in single and double speed (matra ?), but I'm learning. It's not entirely new to me.

So, here are the compositions

Ghe Naa Dha|- Dha Ghe Naa
Ghe Naa DhaGe| DhinNaa Ge Naa

Ke Naa Taa|- Taa Ke Naa
Ke Naa TaaKe|TinNaa Ke Naa

You can see the difference between Naa and Taa above. They are played the same, but Taa is a Dha for the lighter stroke as I call it.

The second one was

Ghe Naa Dha|Ghe Naa Dha
Ghe Naa DhaGe|DhinNaa Ge Naa

Ke Naa Taa|Ke Naa Taa
Ke Naa TaaKe|TinNaa Ke Naa


Even though they are separate lines, think about it as

Ghe Naa DhaGeNa DhaGeNaa ... and then they DhaGe DhinNaa Ge Naa. You get the rhythm then.

The third line, I'll update later. I can't say it very well and Guruji has it written in my pad at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home